Who said you should never meet your heroes?
A few quick shots before i head to Book Expo American in NYC (skyscrapers and everythang …) where i will be shilling the goods for the day job while soaking in some literary and otherwise atmosphere – hopefully meeting up with the filmmaker and illustrator of the Uncle Weed book, Brandon Kiggins of brooklyn, see the wild Alex Grey museum about the his trippy art and of course visit the mysterious haunted speakeasy pub in the village with a local amigo.
Taking Haruki Murakami collection of stories and Herman Hesse‘s Reflections – not the quintessential NYC lit but see what serendipity delivers – i am going to a book show – gotta be something worth reading (and i am admittedly somewhat stuck to older (dead-er) writers). Of course taking mobile podcaster-o-rator/recorder, notebooks and the snapshooter.
Then to San Jose for another day-job related trade show and since no time for San Fran hi-jinks- might be decidedly vanilla so to speak but will likely find some adventure. Will be catching Stanley Cup finals on the road (kinda need a sling box eh).
Back to beloved Vancouver for a couple days before London UK-bound. More podcasting for the job and then heading on a 4 day walkabout – likely to Dumfries (a home of Robbie Burns and one of his many loves – Jean Armour), Scotland and then mayhaps to a festival of sorts in Leeds. Gonna not get too hung up the deets here but i will be stuck with more than a backpack in London so might be a wee bit limited.
Anyhow, this week …
– a new Canucks Outsider is up (Vancouver Giants day at Vancouver City Hall) – next up is my coverage of the BC Floorball Challenge
– went to a kick ass Police concert which deserves along loquacious post of it’s own (which is unlikely to happen unless i start into a list of “noteworthy concerts of my life”)
– Cosmo and Dingo came to visit for aforementioned Police show – too short a visit (job gets in the way) but good times (note to self: pay them for tix)
– really wanna bust out some more White Poppies for Remembrance episodes – next one will feature a track by Drive by Truckers and a chat with a disenfrancished soul at the New Amsterdam about the conceptual conditions of Vancouver’s downtown eastside
– listening to podcasts by Rick Steves’ on Rolf Potts’ book Vagabonding), BBC’s Melvyn Bragg (Opium Wars), BBC on Nigeria as Black Superpower, Tavis Smiley‘s interviews with Joe Biden and others, Bill Maher talking to Bill Richardson (Gov. New Mex and Demo Pres hopeful), Scarborough Dude in Tokyo soul-searching and representing plus the usual smattering of Clubside Breakfast Times and KEXP goodness.
Thick pineapple rain whipping
winds twisting leaves
and homeless blankets
wet while walking past
yellow in fleeting glances
holding breath for quarantine
peeking though humid windows
Thinking about …
Pinochet dying (Guardian Unlimited special report “From Tyrant to Arrest and Indictment”) – sometimes the evil ones live so long, 91 – so much blood on his hands (rumours of stadiums full of communist disappeared)and years of process means a lack of reasonable resolution and restitution
(Underrated hockey great) Bob Gainey’s daughter Laura swept off a ship – search continues … lo, the price of adventure (coulda been me or you) peace
Listening to …
Bicycle mark in Ljubljana, Slovenia on Austro-Hungarian empire and the historical role of the Balkans in creating war
BBC Iraq, squandered billions in reconstruction and lost opportunities, Saddam’s personal history, Afghanistan’s (un)reinvention process
In the works …
Choogle on with Uncle Weed International Mail round up from a windy porch recorded and in production, Blazin’ in Japan on deck – music encoded, a few pieces to gather before production
Canucks Outsider – new episode (Canucks game day vs. Whalers/Hurricanes) and a few site upgrades (thanks Bread)
Postcards from Gravelly Beach – part 2 of the Jack Kerouac poetry stroll nears completion – more choruses from San Francisco blues while walking down the Mission – one more part after that and then onto Remembrance Day peace and war collection