Dave Olson, Story Maker
See Also: Dave Olson at LinkedIn.com
Experienced writer and creative project producer seeks progressive company for long-term collaboration. Adept at creating, executing and measuring social media-driven marketing campaigns, building brands and sparking conversations.
Vice President, Community, Hootsuite Media
- Organized and executed market launches in global markets throughout Europe, Asia and South America.
- Rallied and recruited a global network of brand ambassadors in 20+ countries.
- Organized and led successful SXSW campaigns including logistics, campaigns, messaging and assets.
- Conceived and delivered programs including user-powered events, community-driven content, and the best swag going.
- Presented and spoke at significant events including SXSW, NXNE, TEDx, Pecha Kucha, and dozens of industry-specific events (ombudsmen, finance, music, PR, etc.).
- Built and managed exceptional teams from ground-up and spun off numerous departments including marketing, affiliate, learning, support and more.
- Wrote thought leadership pieces about community building, global outreach, building and inspiring teams(including interns) and social media best practices.
- Interfaced with media and appeared in dozens of news clips, interviews, podcasts and written articles both in North America and around the world.
- Participated and/or facilitated events for specific audiences including international groups, government consortiums, student leaders, community managers, etc.
- Conducted all of above with small, nimble teams and “cheap and cheerful” budgets.
- Shared the story of my teams including media recognition, awards and meta documentation.
Marketing & Community Director, HootSuite Media, Inc.
Set and execute strategy for media, public, user and customer outreach including promotional campaigns, educational programs, event participation and customer advocacy.
Director of Fan Communities, MovieSet.com
Created campaigns and initiatives to drive traffic and encourage participation in a site distributing behind-the-scenes footage from movies in production
Community Marketing Evangelist, Raincity Studios
Coordinated marketing, public relations and thought-leadership activities for a fast-growing new media development company, including case studies & conferences
Strategic Advisor, HappyFrog
Initiated policies and planned brand and campaigns for a start-up business directory and social networking community for “green” businesses & consumers
Marketing Coordinator, Elastic Path Software
Launched corporate outreach program for e-commerce company including conference speaking, trade shows, white papers, blogging, podcasting & outreach
Minister of Marketing, Zhonka Broadband
Co-founded DSL Internet service provider (ISP) including writing business plan and funding offering, and supervising corporate governance, tax and IP matters (see also: OlyWa.net)
Worked as a bi-lingual beach club host (Guam), submarine tour guide (Guam), Japanese high school teacher (Guam), mushroom farmer (Japan), grape picker (Germany), chestnut seller (Germany), political pollster (Utah), college librarian (Utah), rock band roadie (etc), bicycle mechanic (several) and fire juggler (elsewhere).
Registered with Library of Congress as Digital Millennium Copyright Agent.
The Evergreen State College, B.A. 2004, Inter-disciplinary Studies – Emphasis in writing, literature, communication, public policy, philosophy, and management strategies
Also attended: University of Utah, University of Guam and Utah Valley State College
Frequently appear in media discussing hockey, technology & cultural topics.
Media appearances include: Wall Street Journal, PBS Media Shift, BBC Radio, Mashable, The Next Web, Read Write Web, CBC Radio One & Radio 3, CTV, CKNW, Lab with Leo, Urban Rush TV, Vancouver Sun, Vancouver Courier, 24 Hours, The Olympian (WA), High Times.
- Produce series of award-winning podcasts including: “Choogle on”, “Postcards from Gravelly Beach”, “Canucks Outsider” & contribute to other audio documentary shows
- Presented at SXSW12/09 plus Pecha Kucha Nights, Northern Voice, Vancouver Film School, WordCamp Whistler and various business and community groups
- Published essay about transit journey at Translink’s Buzzer blog
- Wrote essays on counter-culture topics for Magazine including: Heads, High Times, Cannabis Culture, Journal of International Hemp Association
- Self-published literary projects including free-verse, epistolary literature, and short fiction
- Wrote a column for Menu Magazine about Internet, culture & public policy called “Levelling the Playing Field”
- Communications Wrangle – True North Media House media campaign during Vancouver 2010
- Organized Drupal Camp Vancouver, Vancouver TransitCamp & contributed to many other grassroots events
Create Write Think Speak Produce Brand Podcast Chillaxin’ Blog Promote Inspire Plan Listen Market Strategize Manage Outreach Poetry Inter-disciplinary New Media Old Media Culture Bridging Campaigns Audiences Ephemera Copywriting Publishing Case Study White Paper Organize Inspire Encourage Leadership Green Community Animate Spark Goodtimes Rethink Replenish