Quick hits (while pausing music by Neal Casal and next up Television –the band not the communication medium – to talk about Kerouac in Kobe interview in Simon Warner’s “Rock and the Beat Generation” newsletter and encouraging you to sign-up… plus:
* remarks about two inspiring poets: Ron Whitehead & Marc Zegans
* the conundrums/excitement of adding sparks to tinder to help a creative project gain kindling-like momentum
* review of upcoming storytime on “writers read the early sht” with Jason Emde
* a note about my occasional podcast “Postcards from Gravelly Beach” and the machinations of moving feeds from relatively ancient times
* a hint I’m working on a poetry book tentatively titled “a circumnavigation of sorts”
* something about my weird illness ME/CFS and recent articles in the Atlantic and San Francisco Chronicle
+ usual thing about “let me know you’re paying attention and I’ll send you a postcard” maybe
PS I’ll add links to relevant things later / still in the barn listening to records and writing letters. In the meanwhile, you’re clever and I’m confident can figure it out on your own.
Yup, that is a signed *by councillor Joe Keithley and Randy Rampage (rip)* original pressing of DOA’s Hardcore 81 on the wall
- Rock and Beat Generation Interview with Simon Warner
- Kerouac in Kobe video, dossier etc
- Marc Zegans is at: http://www.marczegans.com/
- Ron Whitehead is at: https://www.patreon.com/RonWhitehead/posts (amongst other places)
- Jerry Cimino and the Beat Museum are at: https://www.kerouac.com/
- Ken Bole’s podcast etc are at: https://www.dicksnjanes.ca/ & book is called “Waiting for Now” https://www.blurb.com/b/10510038-waiting-for-now-my-life-in-letters
- Casey Bean’s The Bean Pod is at: https://thebeanpod.buzzsprout.com/
- Jason Emde’s WRTES pod is at: https://wrtes.buzzsprout.com/
- Great article about Television (the band) by Elizabeth Nelson “Lightning Struck Itself: Television’s ‘Marquee Moon’ in Eight Phases“
- Stellar article about MECFS from The Atlantic, By Ed Yong:
“… a Reckoning for One of Medicine’s Most Neglected Diseases – Only a couple dozen doctors specialize in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Now their knowledge could be crucial to treating millions more patients”
Since we are here and archiving
Marc Zegans chimed in with:
Another charming, delightful, and thoroughly engaging video from Dave Olson. Really appreciated his warm shout out on behalf of Lyon Street and my work as a creative development advisor and friend to writers and artists of all stripes.
By the way, Dave was very recently interviewed in a fascinating piece by Simon Warner. You can check it out on Simon’s Rock and the Beat Generation series.
Ron Whitehead chimed in with:
Thank you Dave!! I included Richard Hell in the 48-hour non-stop music & poetry NEW ORLEANS INSOMNIACATHON which historian Douglas Brinkley and I produced in August 1996. I introduced Richard to a packed house. Doug and I got a historic marker put up in front of William S. Burroughs home there in Algiers, across the Mississippi River. Burroughs did a phone interview with us, as part of the INSOMNIACATHON. We included many of The Beats. Dave, you’re interview in Simon Warner’s important and fantastic fun Rock and The Beat Generation is excellent! I love your posts! Keep up the great work!!
One more note:
… float up all the poetic boats and gently encourage reader to dig into your works on their terms. I’ve found – in the journey of a creative artist – sometimes the rewards come unexpectedly and are different than originally thought, so whilst waiting, can feel a bit lonely so best make yourself comfortable to enjoy the experience.dvo