A few notes and tips and phrases compiled for guests coming to wedding but likely useful for most anyone coming to Japan.
Remember you must always have your passport with you (stupid but hey… rules is).
Shoes are never worn in homes, change into slippers (which will never ever fit), then different slippers for toilet, don’t forget to change back (you will forget), socks only in tatami (straw mat) rooms.
Big stores / malls often offer tax-refund. Gotta take receipt, passport and credit card (if used) to special kiosk. They will stick receipt and stamp in passport, weird but hey, ya get money back.
Don’t walk and smoke. Hang in front of konbini store, pachinko, find smoking cage, or smoking section of resto or park.
Can drink alcohol on streets and parks however… no sloppiness, penalties/jail harsh.
- Konnichiwa = Hello
- Chotto matte = Just a moment/please wait
- Hai = yes
- Iie or Chigaimasu = no / different or wrong
- Douzo = go ahead, please (this is super handy!)
- Sugoi! = Great! Amazing! i.e.: How is Japan? Sugoi!
- Suimasen = excuse me (used allll the time as is Go-men which is like “sorry”)
- Kudasai = please i.e. “Kohi o kudasai” = “coffee please”
- Domo, Domo Arigato, Domo arigato gozaimasu = thanks, thanks a lot, thank you very very much
- Jaa ne / Matta ne = See you / again
- Toire (toilet) doko desuka? = where is the toilet (there are more trad words for toilet “benjo” and “o teirei” but the Japanese-i-fied english word is easiest
- Konbini = convenience store (7-11, Lawson, Family Mart are plentiful & amazing)