— Ariane Colenbrander (@Vancouverscape) June 15, 2013
Artifact dossier: Collage art boards from “Forgotten Vancouver Stories (aka Poets, Punks and Revolutions)” spiel presented in various formats at Pecha Kucha Night Vancouver, All-start edition, and Northern Voice 2013 closing keynote. Video and roundup of both prezos exists elsewhere in this archive.
Each collage “slide” was handmade (obviously) with ephemera from my personal collection (exceptions credited on final “slide”) then, arranged on hemp cloth “storyboards”, photographed by Rachel Ashe, then disassembled. An analog to digital remix of sorts. Presented here in rather large size for your printing/screensaver/ amusement and posterity.
Storymaker Dave uncleweed Olson shares an eclectic variety of stories from Vancouver’s counter-culture history on a stage adorned with a record player, campfire & cub scout blanket, art easel, flowers and an Expo 86 mug – plus pulls artifacts from an old-timey suitcase to illustrate forgotten past of a city which is/was much cooler than most realize.
Presented at Northern Voice, June 2013 in Vancouver, Canada, his 11th presentation to this noted personal expression conference (and his last talk before a medical “retirement”).
Music: Derek K Miller (RIP) “(You’re the) Big Sky”
- Frederick Varley – Group of 7 painter who lived in Vancouver for 10 years
- Grateful Dead – (tried to) play free shows at Second Beach and Kits Beach in 1966
- Bob Masse psychedelic poster artist
- Gastown Riots, March on Blaine, Rock Against Racism
- bev. davies – rock n roll photographer, community chronicler, punk rock mom
- Blues in Vancouver – Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee at the Bunkhouse
- Vancouver punk rock glory days DIY spirit and fanzines (+ final days of The Clash and importance of ephemera)
- Clayoquot Sound logging blockades
- Jake Milford and the Canucks recruiting Swedish players in the 1970s
- United Empire Loyalists + Burner Boys bringing jam band culture
- Venues of note: Afterthought, Retinal Circus, York Theatre, the Cave, the Bunkhouse
- Cubscout campfire blankets
- Howard Hughes, Errol Flynn
- ++ bits of Kris Krug, Bob Kronbauer, Rebecca Bollwitt, Dan Mangan, Jason Vanderhill and campfire helpers: Mark Blevis, Kemp Edmonds, John Biehler, James Lester, Ariane Colenbrander, Nicholas Demers
I’m speaking at noted, long-time personal expression/blogging conference: Northern Voice, this time held at Museum of Vancouver. I’m bringing an old-timey suitcase and possible costume changes.
Details and tickets are at northernvoice.ca but basics are: June 14-15 (my gig is last on Saturday, 15th 3:30-4:30) at Museum of Vancouver (same building as the Planetarium with the crazy metal crab out front).
Blurb: Vancouver, The Untold Stories
The core of personal expression is in the stories we create. Indeed, we humans are defined by the stories we tell and the people we tell them to. No matter what form your stories take – digital or analog – they come alive when shared with an audience.
By exploring an oft-forgotten and eclectic variety of Vancouver stories, Northern Voice veteran (this is his 10th talk) Dave Olson @uncleweed, will send you on personal quests to discover new heroes, sort out conundrums, and collaborate with other storymakers to and remix artifacts from our local life. Along the way, you’ll explore forms your mixed media stories might take, and ways to share with audiences you’ve yet to meet.
Start your journey by finding inspiration and interestingness in the history of our own Vancouver, perhaps: forgotten breweries and legendary blues venues, wealthy recluse at the Bayshore, intrepid punk rock photographer, bohemian group of seven painters, storytellers past and future, true heavyweight champ in an unmarked grave, a dead Hollywood star and his grisly autopsy, stoner comedians’ first meeting, Jimi/Janis/Jerry, summer of love shakedown #nofun, Sammy Sr. at the Cave, Jello at the York, everyone at the Buddha, and a host of our distant forebears and peers.
Your speaker Dave grew up in Guildford > Whalley > Newton and now lives in Lynn Valley and works in Mt. Pleasant – while he’s spent time in 29+ other countries – he takes distinct interest in getting lost in neighbourhoods seeking craft ales, chill gardens and curious tales. You may have caught him sharing at Pecha Kucha, SXSW, TedX or local community clubs.
For the record, my previous talks were:
- Blogging your Passion (with Rachel Ashe, Andre Charland and …)
- Three Ps of Podcasting (intro’ed by Roland Tanglao)
- Crazy Canucks panel (with John and Rebecca Bollwitt, JJ Guerrero, Alanah McGinley)
- Fuck Stats, Make Art (dedicated to Derek K Miller)
- Story of a Story (Letters from Russia)
- Rock n Roll Photo (with Kris Krug and Bev Davies)
- Citizen Journalism and Vancouver 2010 Olympics (with Robert Scales, Andy Miah, Kris Krug, Debbie Lander)
- Japan photo project (with John Biehler’s photo camp)
- Finding your Voice with Storymaking (delivered via video due to hospitalization)
- Vancouver: The Untold Stories (with you, i hope)
My blurb follows, perhaps we’ll see ya there? Oh, a load of my pals are spieling too.