Lockergnome’s Kelly Clay talks to Dave Olson of HootSuite at the Source Code pre-premiere party. Dave shares insights into the newly announced analytics built in to HootSuite, shares insight into the ability for people to communicate from Egypt during the recent Internet blocking that occurred there, and about how things like Twitter make it easier to make sure your loved ones are okay.
“Uncleweed guards the stash, and leaves a video diary entry on my recorder while i go back to the garage to get the room key I forgot.”
While waiting for a new key from security, I recap Day 2 of Gnomedex including riffs on:
* Ethan Kaplan (then of Warner Brothers) ideas about the fan and band hierarchy
* Tara Hunt (born in Saskatoon) sharing her ideas about small and social business (note: Chris Messina was not her husband as i stated)
* Dave Winer who got grumpy about the dude from Firefox but laid out his future vision
* Chris Pirillo asking for feedback about his new idea TagJag
* Experience Music Project with an exhibit comparing and contrasting art from different eras
* Singing Oh Canada with the other Canucks on site (Darren Barefoot, Derek K. Miller et al)
I may take this year off from Gnomedex. Not that i don’t enjoy it immensely but because i am sick of spending rare sunny summer weekends indoors geeking out. Family and outdoor leisure time is so scant and August is the stretch run before the months of drizzle begin anew. I am always spieling forth for fall/winter confabs instead.
Though i am grateful for Chris Pirillo being a Zhonka Broadband customer, i may not make it this year though i am sure my amigo y amiga will manage to tear it up anyhow.
Whilst at Gnomedex conference in Seattle in 2008, with Nat at the wheel, and a batch of geeks aboard, we head out in a propane-powered heavily modified school bus to get some art, have some tokes and share some laughs. Riders included a roster of exceptional humans including Amber Case, Dave Delaney, Marcus Whitney, Jay Stewart and more (see below).
With art acquired, we rolled around town including a stop whilst a draw bridge let a boat through and we goofed around with (at the time) new tech tools like iphones and digital recorders.
Riders aboard included:
Amber C @caseorganic
Jay S @theunabonger
Kris K @kk
Dave D @davedelanany
C Suspect @csuspect
Alex W @alexwilliams
Nat T @blarneyrabble
Marcus W @marcuswhitney
+++ other remarkable folks who are forever bound by this ride…
However, this ephemeral video does not properly represent any of the above :( but roll for a moment anyhow.
I’m heading to Gnomedex shortly … here’s how you can play along at home with this special board game edition which wou’ll receive along with your year supply of Rice a Roni!
I won’t be doing on-site blogging this time (no laptop) but am taking recorder and camera and plan to document a bit but mostly soak all the fuzzy knowledge in to hone my ability to see into the future of media, communication, activism and efficiency. Excited to hang out with more amazing folsk brewingup crazy goodness and catch up the club at this geekfest summer camp. Fortunately non-A listers like me are able to attend to keep it real ;-).
Maslow take note of all these fufilled and almost actualized people!
Gnomedex is a funny name. There’s something absurd about the word gnome, and using it toreplace the first syllable of a stuffy, corporate-sounding acronym really makes Gnomedex work. Gnome makes you think of garden gnomes. And the Underpants Gnomes of South Park.They have a three-point business plan that may seem eerily familiar toyou VCs and angels out there, and cut a little close to the bone foryou web entrepreneurs:
While it is nice that the somewhat-snarky, semi-self-indulgent, gossip-machine Valleywag has picked up on my treasure trove of *high* quality content (art before commerce yo!), I am not sure why they picked this rather substandard pic of the noted blogger Robert Scoble to run with their article on Scoble’s habits (slow news day?).
I know that every conference Scobes is at (at least the ones i make it to) is laden with these “shooters” (think photodudes like Krug, Scales, Beale, Leung) with their fancy lenses and technical prowess, all creeping in for the killer shot with one elbow cocked up sniping the shot – and their collections are probably more flattering and fascinating.
My shot … This one is pure coincidence as he was standing behind me. Shit, even I have better Scoble pics including this softie – and i am even curious how it floated onto vWag’s radar since it wasn’t even tagged.
Anyhow, Scoble at Gnomedex with Chris Pirillo’s pa holding the mic (he looks like the Dad in CBC’s Corner Gas BTW) is my grand entrance to the tech gossip rag world, watch out Silly-conners.
Admitting my affection for the GoGos at the final night party of Gnomedex at Experience Music Project, I check in with Jay aka Cosmo G Spacely the Unabonger, Jacob from Arkansas and the lovely Dingo to recap the event whilst lounging at the bar.
* PT’s (of Make Magazine) rapid hardware hacks
* Ethan Kaplan’s (at the time at Warner Brothers) views on the music industry and REM stories
* Some disagreement between veterans including Dave Winer and some upstarts about the “way things should be done”
* Tara Hunt and Chris Messina (then of Citizen Media) and the advantage of keeping companies small (i.e. 80 10lb spider monkeys vs an 800lb gorillas)
* Werner Voegels (CTO of Amazon) introducing the concept of cloud storage and delivery
* The variety of companies here between big and small, and absent and here, including Yahoo, Google, Intel and the love of Flickr
* Meeting new friends including Jacob from Arkansas who shares a birthday with Cosmo
* Kum By Ya singing
* Dave Dederer (ex Presidents of the United States of America) jam session
* EMP’s Sci-Fi exhibit
* Props for Chris Pirillo