From Halfmoon Bay on Clayoquot Sound, Vancouver Island, Dave gives it up for zen poet hero Gary Snyder and recounts beat history from The Old Ways and logging culture from Myths and Texts plus poems about hitchhiking, girls, baths, clear-cuts and the Buddha – then finishes with original freeverse poetry about the transient experience called “Railyards Passing By.”
Hit the road to Hitch a Thousand Miles to See a Friend – Postcard #56 (128k mp3, 29:04, 26MB)
Auto-magically receive Postcard from Gravelly Beach podcast, via:
- PfGB RSS feed
- PfGB iTunes
- PfGB Google Play
- PfGB Tunein
- PfGB at Daveostory
- + possibly more at Pod Sub Desk
Reviews rewarded with actual postal postcards #bribe
- Clayoquot Snapshots – a set on Flickr
- Gary Snyder at Modern American Poetry (U. of Illinois)
- Inventory of the Gary Snyder Papers (U.C. Davis)
- Gary Snyder, professor
- Riprap and Cold Mountain Poems (San Francisco: Four Seasons, 1969).
- Myths and Texts (New York: New Directions, 1960,1978).
- The Back Country (New York: New Directions, 1968).
- Earth Household (New York: New Directions, 1969). [Prose]
- Regarding Wave (New York: New Directions, 1970).
- Turtle Island (New York: New Directions, 1974). [Pullitzer Prize]
- The Old Ways (San Francisco: City Lights, 1977). [Prose]
- Axe Handles (San Francisco: North Point, 1983).
- He Who Hunted Birds in His Father’s Village (“the Dimensions of a Haida Myth”) (Bolinas, CA: Grey Fox, 1979). [Prose]
- Passage Through India (San Francisco: Gray Fox, 1984).
- Left Out in the Rain (San Francisco: North Point, 1988).
- The Practice of the Wild (San Francisco: North Point, 1990). [Prose]
- No Nature (New York: Pantheon, 1992)
- A Place in Space (Washington, D.C.: Counterpoint, 1995). [Prose]
- Mountains and Rivers Without End (Washington, D.C.: Counterpoint, 1996). [Bollingen Prize]
- The Gary Snyder Reader (Washington, D.C.: Counterpoint, 1999).
Note: your humble podcaster does not own the last 3 books on this list – hook a guy up ‘eh