￼Notes from the kura barn (day one):
As I opened up dozens of boxes today to kind of do a “rough sort“ and see what I’m dealing with, so many thoughts and emotions flooding back – However, work to do with intent of pulling out a few artifacts for upcoming Jack Kerouac workshop (oh yeah, don’t cancel don’t cancel everything proceed normally etc. etc.)…
Anyhow, I collect collections and, in various cigar boxes, shoeboxes, and satchels of different kinds I have assortments of:
- playing cards (despite the fact that I don’t know how to shuffle or any card games)
- pins of all sorts
- lighters and coasters from all around the world
- belt buckles and belts (many of these used on old suitcases)
- felt pennants and other classic Vancouver odds and ends including expo 86 artifacts￼
- dozens of amusing hats – also scarves and hats and more hats
- cassette tapes (primarily ones from garage band from decades ago
- CDs (commercial as well as from people who said “dude you got to hear my band“ and gave me said CD)
- plenty of vinyl (oh my!) / Many of which I never had a chance to listen to as I ordered them and they were drop shipped to various friends and brothers’ house￼
- suitcases filled with hitchhiking signs, presentation “paper point“ collages, and dozens of scrapbooks, journals, diaries, notebooks, sketches… dozens
Overall, I have about six-eight of my old-timey suitcases, two typewriters, all sorts of fun outfits (we’ll see what still fits after I do a lot of laundry as most is a bit musty) and then dossiers of travel ephemera from various trips as well as the already constructed “static montage” story boards that I create for various trips.
In other words, have enough projects to keep me going for a while.
Plus loads of art supplies and office supplies and stationery supplies.
￼Also a stereo and a bunch of recording gear and another 2/3 of the boxes I haven’t opened yet.
And then of course there is art, both originals and prints and posters… Took the time to unroll some posters and start to flatten them out, then re-organized all the framed art into big boxes with similar pieces as we start to hang up stuff all over the house and barn etc. etc. (we don’t have near enough wall space but that’s another story, we can swap out exhibits if you know what I mean).
Then books books books books, I didn’t start to open these boxes as for whatever reason, my big mighty maple bookcase was an in with the rest of the staff. It’s a massive piece and it’s “raw wood“ so maybe well I don’t know, it’s just not there so I need to come up with a backup plan for organizing books.
Overall,￼￼ i have about a three hour “energy envelope” per day and today went about five hours until sitting in a hot bath for an hour and a half. Overdid it a little bit but dang, it’s really exciting to be reunited with my entire life.
Noting as well that since dad and mom died over the last few years while I’ve been wandering, I have various odds and ends from their lives thrown into the mix which I haven’t really been able to contextualize and appreciate yet.
The lighting isn’t great in the barn as well so I have to remember to keep the pace reasonable for eyes too – and also there is a massive amount of cardboard and bubble wrap resulting from the frenzy of unboxing.￼