From a kura barn in provincial Japan, DaveO kicks off “Beat Sushi” by sending greetings to Beat / Deadhead / Prankster / Political fixer(?) Brian Hassett with a meandering answer to a simple question about a Jack Kerouac vinyl box set.
Along with spinning Velvet Underground and Jack’s “Western Movies” with Al Cohn and Zoot Sims from “The Last Word” disc, your rambling host talks about:
- * JK’s recent centenary & events in Lowell, Mass etc
- * a phone call from Lowell with Brian and Thomas the German architect
- * plus namechecks for: Beat Museum’s event in San Francisco; Jim Irsay and Mr. Canary’s sc/rol etc adventures in LA and beyond
- * bit of SxSW flashback (missing pals & hi/jinks)
- * and a look around the Giggling Piglet Studio with records, books, typewriters, flags, ephemera and whatnot
Dig Jack Kerouac festivities in Lowell roundup riff at Brian Land: https://brianhassett.com/2022/03/kerouacs-100th-birthday-celebration-in-lowell/
Much more Beat & counter-culture literary goodness, fill yer boots!