I shared stories about growing Hootsuite on a grassroots level and break down tools and tactics in this “Conversations with Community Managers” audio pod interview from May 27, 2010.
Conversations with Community Managers – Dave Olson (Hootsuite) Episode #9 features Dave Olson, Marketing Director for HootSuite, which helps people and companies track, monitor and manage their Twitter communities.
Download Community Roundtable Podcast with Dave Olson (17:27, 14MB, .mp3) or listen onboard:
Podcast topics include:
- How the traditional title of “Marketing Director” translates to online marketing, customer service and social engagement
- Turning metrics into meaning by realizing the personalities behind the community members
- Tips on community: making members feel like they belong and are contributing, and that they are being heard and acknowledged
- Stories about communities in the 1970s, enabled by “ditto machines” and other pre social media technology (the roots of Dave’s current personal projects are found at http://www.uncleweed.com/)
- An example of a company (SubPop records) that started their community building in the pre-social media era (pre-Internet, even), and evolved it into the age of Twitter
- Adding value, context and storytelling vs simply “attracting a crowd”
The Community Roundtable has partnered with Voce Communications to produce a new podcast series, “Conversations with Community Managers.” In this series, TheCR’s Jim Storer joins forces with Voce’s Doug Haslam to speak with people from a variety of industries about their efforts with community and social media management.