Under the auspices of my day-job, i shared some handy tips in webinar – promoted by a bank – designed to help small businesses learn to quickly adapt social media tools and web best practices into their marketing, operations and business development plans. It’s devoid of wild stories from foreign lands but my hair is perfect ;-) and i do some Q&A.
Please share with your pals who are trying to prioritize their marketing activities and keep their biz rolling.
NOTE: Video Removed by the Bank, leaving here for notes etc.
And, at the risk of being a sell-out, here are my notes from the gig. Here’s a resource guide too.
Tutorial with Dave Olson, Community Director, HootSuite
In 15 minutes, learn how to:
- Build an effective social media marketing campaign
- Respond to what is being said about your brand and business
- Set up an online page and maintain your online presence
- Use social media to drive traffic to your website and engage prospects
- Distribute your targeted messages using multiple online channels
- Advertise online on a small budget – get the top result spot on search engines
10 Tips to Tune your Online Social Strategy
Aim: Provide practical, tactical tips they can use right away to grow business using social media/web tools.
- Social listening – set up persistent real-time search for brand mentions in Twitter – even geo-locate your searches i.e. mentions of “accountant” or “tax” or “bookkeeping” ONLY in Halifax)
- Twitter conversations – be prepared to reply appropriately (draft messages, set policy, know tone and limits, build a team)
- Twitter community – become an expert by building lists of industry influencers, your teams, your brands etc.
- Facebook precense – set up a page to provide: resources; unique calls to action; and conversation – stay active, don’t feed the trolls
- Tracking results – see which channels deliver traffic to web site and which convert into customers with social stats and integrated Google Analytics
- News Alerts – get updates emailed when you brand is mentioned via Google news alerts and social mention – mitigate misinformation, outreach to prospects/media/partners
- Search Engine Optimization – you need: quality inbound links; tuned copywriting; clean code + sitemap
- Google Ads and Search – Organic (free but unpredictable) vs Adwords (paid and semi-unpredictable) – budget and balance is key
- Defining Strategy – decide where you needs are: do you need customers? do you need to provide more customer service channels? do you need to build brand awareness? build a toolkit for your needs looking 6 months out
- Understanding Social media ROI – the pay off is across channels including customer support, lead generation and mitigating PR conundrums